Paneer butter masala recipe – Master on making the finger licking restaurant style paneer butter masala quickly at home. I remembered some years ago, I found this tasty best paneer butter masala recipe in one of the cooking books which I bought for myself from the market. And after reading that recipe, I tried it, and also added my personal touch on it, then made this for my family for years and they loved this so much that they got hooked to it. Try it once and you will find it tastes super delicious. Tawa Roti or Butter Naan both will be a perfect combination for the Paneer Butter Masala.
I always love to make simple and handy recipes as they are easy to cook, need fewer ingredients and we have to follow fewer steps.This paneer butter masala recipe in restaurant style always wins people’s heart for it’s super delicious taste and simplicity.
This is the place where most of the people get stuck as they are unable to find the perfect recipe. No worries, i already made a proper step by step guide on how to make this butter paneer recipe for you with my 4 year experience. So let’s get started-
Step-by-step guide with photo
Preparation of Gravy
1.Heat up the pan. Now add one tablespoon oil. Add 1 cup cubed onions & 2 green cardamoms. Saute them on a medium flame till they turn soft or look pinkish in colour. This takes just 4 minutes.
2. Now add the following:
- 1½ cups finely chopped tomatoes
- ¾ teaspoon salt. Again saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Then cover the pan and cook till mushy.
3. When the onions and tomatoes are completely become soft, add the following:
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (optional)
- 10 to 12 cashews
- ¾ teaspoon sugar (optional, to balance the flavors)
4. Saute this tomato onion masala mixture on a low heat for 3 to 4 minutes. It should start smelling good and tasty. Turn off the gas.
5.Cool this mixture completely then add to a blender. First add 1 cup water to the blender.
6. Blend this mixture to a super smooth puree.
How to make paneer butter masala
6. Heat up a pan, add 1½ tablespoon ghee and 1½ tablespoon butter and wait till they heated up properly.
7. When they heated up properly, add one split green chili, some chopped garlic and spoon red chili powder and mix them well.
8. After mixing them properly, add the gravy which we prepared in blender and slow down the gas flame. Now mix it well.
9. Now add the following:
- Salt(according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
Now put the lid on the pan and cook it closely for 5-10 minutes in slow flame on gas.
10.After that add 1½ fresh cream and some kasoori methi to it.
11. Now add paneer cubes in the gravy and mix it well.
Your paneer butter masala is now ready. Garnish it with 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander leaves.
Serve this paneer butter masala with Tawa Roti, Paratha, Chapati, Butter Naan or even with Plain Rice. Your family will love it.
What is paneer butter masala?
This recipe is also called as butter paneer. It’s full of rich & tasty creamy curry which is made with paneer, onion, tomatoes, spices, butter and cashews. Also shahi paneer is good choice for dinner
To prepare paneer butter masala, firstly we have to saute onions, cashews & tomatoes with spices. After That, the mixture blends to a silky smooth puree in a blender which forms the smooth curry base. This is further stew with spices & butter to make the butter masala.
And lastly paneer cube is added to the gravy along with cream which makes the butter paneer creamy and super delicious in taste. Your truly, a restaurant style of butter paneer dish is ready in just within 30 to 40 minutes!
Tips for Best Paneer Butter Masala
1. Make sure to use ripe, red and firm tomatoes with a slightly sweet taste,1 since tomatoes are the key ingredient. Ripe tomatoes not only enhance the color of the butter masala but also add a slight tang to the curry.
2. Paneer is the main ingredient of this dish. So, make sure to use a good quality paneer. Always use homemade paneer if possible. If you are buying paneer from the market, make sure it is fresh.
3. Blend the cooked onion tomato mixture to a very smooth puree. Because silky smooth gravy makes this dish classic. If you do not have a powerful blender then pass the puree through a strainer.
4. Onions are the key ingredient in this recipe which help to balance the tang from the tomatoes. They also are used to naturally sweeten the gravy. Also by adding more cashew or cream you can balance the tang, if you prefer to skin onion.
5. Cashews stabilize and thicken the gravy. They also impart a mild sweet & milky flavor to the butter masala. So do not skip them. However you can replace them with almonds. Soak them in hot water for an hour, peel off the skin and use them here.
6. Use good quality butter. You can use both unsalted or salted butter. Both yellow butter or white butter can be added.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can healthy individuals have Mutter Paneer Butter Masala? Yes! It’s very healthy.
It has full fat paneer, cream, milk, cashew nuts which all are high in fat and not good for individuals with health issues.
One serving of Paneer Butter Masala gives 635 calories.
A well known Macrobiotic Nutritionist says, “Paneer is loaded with healthy fats, proteins and are very low on carbs. It is excellent for weight loss and diabetics. You can have them raw, or cook them in a healthy way. You can add veggies to your paneer bhurji, or have them as tikkas.”
Make the gravy or curry base without cream. Cool it completely. Refrigerate or freeze it in glass containers. Reheat it until bubbling hot, then add paneer. Cook for 2 mins and add cream.
Paneer Butter Masala
Ingredients for gravy or curry
- 1½ tablespoon oil
- 3 green cardamoms (elaichi)
- 2 cups tomatoes finely chopped (3 large)
- ¾ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- ¾ teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 10 to 12 cashew nuts
- 1 to 1½ teaspoon red chilli powder (kashmiri or any low heat kind)(adjust for best color)
- 1 to 1½ teaspoon Garam Masala powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (daniya powder) (optional)
whole spices (skip if you don't have)
- whole spices (skip if you don't have) (tej patta)
- ½ inch cinnamon piece (dalchini) (optional)
- 3 green cardamom (elaichi) (optional)
- 2 cloves (laung) (optional)
For paneer butter masala
- 1½ to 2 tablespoon Butter
- 1½ teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste (or ¾ inch ginger, 3 medium garlic cloves, refer notes)
- 250 to 300 grams Paneer (2 heaped cups)
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 2 to 2½ tablespoon cream (heavy cream, whipping cream or cooking cream)
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves (cilantro finely chopped) (for garnish)
Preparation for paneer butter masala
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan and add 2 green cardamoms.
- Then add 1 cup cubed onions & fry stirring often until they turn transparent to light pink.
- Next add 1½ cup tomatoes & ¾ teaspoon salt. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Cover and cook till the onion & tomatoes turns soft & completely mushy.
- Next add in ¾ to 1 teaspoon garam masala, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 12 cashew nuts, ¾ to 1 teaspoon red chili powder & ¾ teaspoon sugar (optional).
- Fry this till the onion tomato masala turns aromatic. This takes 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn off the stove & cool this completely.
- Transfer to a blender with 1 cup water. Blend to a really silky smooth puree. If it is not smooth, then filter it through a strainer to another bowl. Set this aside.
How to make paneer butter masala
- Heat 1½ tablespoon ghee in the same pan. Heat 1½ tablespoon butter in the same pan.
- When the butter melts, add one split green chili, some chopped garlic and spoon red chili powder and mix them well.
- After mixing them properly, add the gravy which we prepared in blender and slow down the gas flame. Now mix it well and add Salt(according to taste) and 1 teaspoon garam masala.
- Now put the close the pan with lid and cook it closely for 5-10 minutes in slow flame on gas.
- Lower the flame completely, then add 200 to 250 grams paneer. Take 1 teaspoon kasuri methi to your palm and crush it in between your palms. Sprinkle this.
- Mix & cook covered on a low heat for 2 minutes. Turn off and pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of cream & stir.
- If you are planning to make this natural and healthy, use natural homemade butter instead of regular butter.
- If you don’t want to add cream or cream is not available, use malai as the alternative of cream. Just beat the malai well and add it as the alternative.
- You can add water or milk to thin down the curry and adjust as per the consistency you prefer.