Paneer Butter Masala
Try this Creamy Restaurant Style Paneer Butter Masala once and you will find it tastes super delicious. This super delicious dish has pieces of paneer in a tomato, onion, butter and some spice based gravy. awa Roti or Butter Naan both will be a perfect combination for the Paneer Butter Masala
Ingredients for gravy or curry
- 1½ tablespoon oil
- 3 green cardamoms (elaichi)
- 2 cups tomatoes finely chopped (3 large)
- ¾ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- ¾ teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 10 to 12 cashew nuts
- 1 to 1½ teaspoon red chilli powder (kashmiri or any low heat kind)(adjust for best color)
- 1 to 1½ teaspoon Garam Masala powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (daniya powder) (optional)
whole spices (skip if you don't have)
- whole spices (skip if you don't have) (tej patta)
- ½ inch cinnamon piece (dalchini) (optional)
- 3 green cardamom (elaichi) (optional)
- 2 cloves (laung) (optional)
For paneer butter masala
- 1½ to 2 tablespoon Butter
- 1½ teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste (or ¾ inch ginger, 3 medium garlic cloves, refer notes)
- 250 to 300 grams Paneer (2 heaped cups)
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 2 to 2½ tablespoon cream (heavy cream, whipping cream or cooking cream)
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves (cilantro finely chopped) (for garnish)
Preparation for paneer butter masala
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan and add 2 green cardamoms.
Then add 1 cup cubed onions & fry stirring often until they turn transparent to light pink.
Next add 1½ cup tomatoes & ¾ teaspoon salt. Saute for 3 minutes.
Cover and cook till the onion & tomatoes turns soft & completely mushy.
Next add in ¾ to 1 teaspoon garam masala, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 12 cashew nuts, ¾ to 1 teaspoon red chili powder & ¾ teaspoon sugar (optional).
Fry this till the onion tomato masala turns aromatic. This takes 2 to 3 minutes.
Turn off the stove & cool this completely.
Transfer to a blender with 1 cup water. Blend to a really silky smooth puree. If it is not smooth, then filter it through a strainer to another bowl. Set this aside.
How to make paneer butter masala
Heat 1½ tablespoon ghee in the same pan. Heat 1½ tablespoon butter in the same pan.
When the butter melts, add one split green chili, some chopped garlic and spoon red chili powder and mix them well.
After mixing them properly, add the gravy which we prepared in blender and slow down the gas flame. Now mix it well and add Salt(according to taste) and 1 teaspoon garam masala.
Now put the close the pan with lid and cook it closely for 5-10 minutes in slow flame on gas.
Lower the flame completely, then add 200 to 250 grams paneer. Take 1 teaspoon kasuri methi to your palm and crush it in between your palms. Sprinkle this.
Mix & cook covered on a low heat for 2 minutes. Turn off and pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of cream & stir.
- If you are planning to make this natural and healthy, use natural homemade butter instead of regular butter.
- If you don't want to add cream or cream is not available, use malai as the alternative of cream. Just beat the malai well and add it as the alternative.
- You can add water or milk to thin down the curry and adjust as per the consistency you prefer.